‘Hidden Gem’ award for Oliver Cromwell’s House
- Credit: Archant
Oliver Cromwell’s House in Ely has received a major new award from a leading tourism board.
Visit England has awarded the St Mary’s Street venue its ‘Hidden Gem’ accolade.
The house is only one of two attractions in the eastern region to receive the honour in this year’s round of awards.
Inspectors noted the efforts which had been made to improve the visitor attraction since last year from new signage to displays and initiatives to improve the customer experience.
This new award from Visit England acknowledges smaller attractions throughout the country and helps to raise their profile.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Richard Hobbs, chairman of commercial services committee at East Cambridgeshire District Council, said: “Oliver Cromwell House is a wonderful place to visit and fully deserves to be awarded the Visit England’s ‘Hidden Gem’ accolade. “The house acts as a magnet – along with our illustrious cathedral – drawing people from far a field to Ely and East Cambridgeshire. The value of this to our economy is huge, running into the millions of pounds as tourism attractions and our wonderful events continue to see their visitor numbers increase.
“This accolade confirms to me how important tourism is to East Cambridgeshire and I am sure it will be a continued drive our district’s reputation even higher.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
For more information on Oliver Cromwell House call 01353 662062 or www.visitely.org.uk