Hi-tech Ely company welcomes new apprentice
- Credit: Archant
A scheme to encourage East Cambridgeshire firms to take on apprentices is celebrating another success.
Thomas Barry, 19, who attended Soham Village College, has joined Hybrid Laser Tech with the help of the East Cambridgeshire Apprenticeship Scheme.
The company, which manufactures and supplies precision laser cut ceramic substrates, has been working closely with the Cambridge high-tech and micro-electronics industry for more than 20 years.
David Littlechild, at Hybrid Laser Tech, which is based in Ely, said: “It has been great to have Thomas as part of the team over the last few months – he has been a fantastic asset and we are all pleased with the progress he has made.
“At Hybrid Laser, we believe in investing in our staff to give our customers the best service and products using the latest technology that allows us to deliver one of the best cut qualities currently available in the industry.”
The East Cambridgeshire Apprenticeship Scheme helps to support local businesses and provide opportunities for young people by topping up the national AGE grant of £1,500 by up to an additional £2,000 if the business takes on a young person from within the district as an apprentice.
The scheme aims to help up to 10 new apprentices to find work in its first year and forms part of the district council’s wider work to help support links between employers and secondary schools for the benefit of the district’s young people.
- 1 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 2 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 3 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 4 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 5 Quick-thinking officer who stopped man jumping onto A14 honoured
- 6 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 7 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 8 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 9 Here’s what you can expect at Ely Folk Festival 2022
- 10 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
Businesses wishing to access the scheme should call 01353 665555 and ask to speak to the Economic Development team.