Here’s the complete list of all 19 level crossings Network Rail are considering closing in East Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Archant
MP Steve Barclay spoke of the possibility of “significant local disruption” if Network Rail presses ahead with closing 19 level crossings in East Cambs.
Network Rail admitted to being “acutely aware that the closure of level crossings in communities requires sensitive community and stakeholder engagement”.
Mr Barclay complained that Network Rail has given “no details of current usage of these level crossings planned for closure.”
He has asked them for usage surveys and the timescales involved for closure.
Mr Barclay added: “I think constituents will be interested in these closure plans which could cause significant local disruption.
He also wants to know “what criteria will be applied when reaching a decision following the public consultation- how will Network Rail demonstrate that the public voice will not be overruled?”
Richard Schofield, route managing director for Network Rail, described their plans as “an innovative approach to level crossing closure”.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 5 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 6 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 7 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 8 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 9 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 10 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
Anglia has 779 level crossings but following a review more than 130 are now being targeted for closure.
Locally these are:
•West River Bridge, Little Thetford
•Ely North Junction
•Second Drove, Ely
•Prickwillow 1, Ely
•Prickwillow 2, Ely
•Wicken Road, Soham
•Newmarket Bridge, Ely
•Wells Engine, Ely
•Cross Keys, Ely
•Furlong Drove, Little Downham
•Black Horse Drove, Littleport
•Coffue Drove, Little Downham
•Littleport Station, Littleport
•Poplar Drove, Littleport
•Willow Row/Willow Road, Littleport
Public meetings to discuss the closures are already planned for June 8 at Littleport Village Hall from 2pm to 7pm and on June 10 in Cambridge at the Browns Field Youth and Community Centre from 2pm to 7pm.
Mr Schofield said those identified for closure could be diverted to nearby alternatives or downgraded to pedestrian crossings only.
“Closing the level crossings and diverting to alternatives will make the railway safer by removing the point where people can come into contact with trains,” he said.