Help needed with the Soham pumpkin fair - or the 40 year old tradition may end
- Credit: Archant
Helpers are needed to make sure a 40 year old pumpkin fair tradition continues in Soham.
The popular fair has been running since 1975 but organisers warn it may stop unless people step forward to help keep the tradition going.
Mark Williams, chairman, said: “We would like to thank all our sponsors, helpers and for the public who came along and enjoyed the day.
“However the down side is we are very short of committee members and if the fair is to carry on then we do need more people to come along and help otherwise we may not be able to run it.”
Proud pumpkin carvers and exhibitors who entered the 40 year anniversary competition helped raise £2,000 for charities.
The total was split four ways with cheques for £500 each to Weatherall’s School allotment, Little Miracles, Soham Young Farmers and Soham Heritage and Tourism.
The fair has been running since 1975 and is held annually on the last Saturday in September.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 9 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 10 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
Every year the day raises money for local charities while providing the community with an enjoyable day out.
In the morning, organisers are busy booking in entries for various competitions; then in the afternoon it is open to the general public for viewing.
Other attractions include vintage vehicles, bygones, charity stalls, arena displays by local groups, a fun fair, BBQ, refreshments, raffle and prize giving ceremony.
To apply to be a beneficiary from the 2016 fair or offer your support contact the committee or email email@example.com.
The deadline is January 31 in 2016. You must include details of the organisation and how the money would be used if selected.