Heartbeat Ely, which has raised £70,000 for charity in less than a decade, is to donate £2,500 to Papworth Hospital
- Credit: Archant
An Ely group - which has raised more than £70,000 for two hospitals that cared for the founder’s husband - is to present an additional £2,500 cheque later this month.
Heartbeat Ely was set up in memory of Patricia Canham’s husband, Eddie, after he had a heart attack in 1991. He was treated and cared for by Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
Patricia said: “During his recovery we decided to say thank you for the after care he was given by holding a coffee morning in our house raising £200.
“This was the beginning of a long and rewarding 27-year journey where we have been fundraising for heart-based charities under the name of Heartbeat.
“We have been running annual charity days ever since and have managed to raise a total of more than £70,000 for Addenbrooke’s and Papworth hospital.”
You may also want to watch:
In 2006 Eddie had a quadruple heart bypass at Papworth hospital, the UK’s largest specialist cardiothoracic hospital.
Patricia added: “Again, we were overwhelmed by the pioneering medical treatments available and the care that we received both as a patient and as a family. “Eddie recovered again very well and had three wonderful years where he had a new found energy for life.
- 1 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 2 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 3 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 4 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 5 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 6 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 7 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 10 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
“Sadly in November 2009 Eddie passed away suddenly, however we know he would want us to continue to raise as much money as possible to continue to support the hospitals and people who made his last few years so special.”
After his death, Patricia set up Heartbeat Ely with her family members and it wasn’t long before friends got involved.
“We have had an awful lot of support over the years, having held coffee mornings, quiz events and fashioon shows to raise money for the hospitals,” Patricia added.
“This year we are running our event as a coffee morning to be held at Ely Cathedral conference centre from 10am-12 where we will be handing over this £2,500 to Papworth Hpspital.
“The cheque presentation and coffee morning takes place on April 21. We would love you to join us on our special day and hope to see you there.”
In September, Heartbeat Ely are planning to hold a quiz night, which will be hosted by Councillor Richard Hobbs.