Headteacher of ‘deeply concerned’ Littleport Community Primary School receives backing from MP Steve Barclay over housing scheme
- Credit: Archant
The headteacher of Littleport Community Primary School has spoken of his fears over children’s safety from hundreds of cars linked to a major new housing scheme, and has received the backing of his local MP Steve Barclay.
The 250 house scheme has a single access road situated directly opposite to the Littleport primary school, funnelling hundreds of cars into an already congested area during mornings and afternoons. This is creating significant child safety concerns at the 435-pupil school.
Headteacher John Cattermole said he had no problem with the housing development itself, but that he is “deeply concerned and strongly opposed to the location of the main entrance to this development.” He added that he believed that the safety of children will be compromised with lives put at serious risk.
Mr Barclay, himself a father of two young children, said consideration is needed for an alternative access road, either an existing road used for industrial traffic from Wisbech Road or from a new route connecting to the A10 roundabout.
“It is clear there are legitimate and well placed concerns from Mr Cattermole and his school governors with the current proposed road access directly opposite Littleport Community Primary,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“More work is needed to ensure we do not endanger children accessing the school, and this requires a change in the main access route.”
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'