He’s a jolly good fellow
At the Rotary Club of Ely s Christmas lunch, members and their wives were joined by members of the Inner Wheel of Ely and friends, and entertained afterwards by songs from Charles Schneider, accompanied by Constance and Peter Heald. The highlight of the
At the Rotary Club of Ely's Christmas lunch, members and their wives were joined by members of the Inner Wheel of Ely and friends, and entertained afterwards by songs from Charles Schneider, accompanied by Constance and Peter Heald.
The highlight of the day, however, was when John Grant, an honorary member of the club for more than 12 years, was awarded a Paul Harris Fellowship in recognition of his contribution to the community, reflecting the Rotary motto 'service above self'.
Wing Commander John Grant MBE retired to Ely more than 30 years ago after his final posting to the RAF hospital in the city, although he and his wife Nan had lived in Ely after his wartime service in India.
For many years, he played a major role in the RAF Association and the British Legion, leading the Armistice Day parade until two years ago. He was a prominent member of the Ely Horticultural Society and used his gardening skills to grow all the plants from seeds for the War Memorial on the Market Square, as well as tending it on a daily basis in the summer. He was also responsible for the Memorial Garden at the Princess of Wales Hospital.
You may also want to watch:
John Grant was awarded the Freedom of the City of Ely a year ago for his contribution, and is the only person to have received this. Now he has been similarly recognised by Rotary International.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely