Happy new year to Ely Rotary as club year starts with appointment of a new president
- Credit: Archant
It’s all change at Ely Rotary Club with the annual appointment of a new president to mark the start of the club’s new year.
The outgoing president of Ely Rotary Club was John Dennick, who presided over the famous Rotary Christmas collection, last year’s Aquafest and big band show amongst the myriad of events and occasions that he needed to attend.
It’s quite a busy but very rewarding job, and this was John’s second stab at it. He was President in 1987/88.,
He joined in 1976, and was one of the Rotarians who was at the very first Aquafest (this year it was the 38th).
The new president for 2016/2017 is Phil Smith, who joined the club in 2008, and has held the post of Aquafest chairman for two years – 2014 and 2015 - which is one of the most demanding positions in Ely Rotary Club. Several other committees have benefited from his guidance.
You may also want to watch:
Phil has lived in Ely for six years with his wife Julia, and before retiring was an IT consultant in investment banking for 30 years or more.
This means he started when computers operated with punch cards and paper tape, and were virtually the size of a small room.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody