Happy Cafe Ely @ Julia’s Tearooms is a first for Cambridgeshire say organisers
- Credit: Archant
Julia’s Tearooms in Ely has teamed up with Action for Happiness - an international movement for positive social change - to become the first Happy Cafe in Cambridgeshire.
The team at Julia’s has cemented its commitment to improving the well-being of the community by joining the Happy Cafe network, which launched in Brighton in 2014.
Action for Happiness has researched and produced the ‘10 Keys for Happier Living’ and postcards, posters, leaflets and supporting literature will be available at Julia’s for people to read and learn how to take action themselves.
The idea to set up a Happy Cafe in Ely comes from local woman Kathryn Pearcey who is a passionate supporter of Action for Happiness based on her own positive experience of using their resources.
To celebrate the opening of Cambridgeshire’s first Happy Cafe, there will be a launch week starting on Monday July 10 with a visit to the Cathedral Conference Centre by author and journalist Rachel Kelly.
Rachel is an internationally known mental health campaigner, public speaker and writer and her second book on well-being ‘Walking on Sunshine: 52 Small Steps to Happiness’ is an international best-seller.
Rachel will be giving her ‘Walking on Sunshine’ presentation on Monday July 10 at 2pm. Entrance will be by donation and all proceeds will be used to replenish and supplement the Action for Happiness resources available for everyone at Happy Cafe Ely.
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
- 8 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
On Wednesday July 12 there will be the first fortnightly coffee morning at Julia’s where local volunteers from Action for Happiness will be available to chat about the ‘10 Keys for Happier Living’ and the resources available. Initially volunteers will be there from 10.30am until noon on the first and third Wednesdays of the month with more meetings planned if there is the need, but everyone is welcome at any time to visit the Happy Cafe and to look at the materials there.
To conclude the week’s events, on Saturday July 15 there will be an afternoon tea/picnic at Julia’s Tearooms, from 3pm. Julia’s will have cakes, ice-creams and hot drinks to purchase or bring your picnic .
Updates will be posted on the Happy Cafe Ely @ Julia’s Tearooms Facebook page.