Haddenham woman charged after £240,000 cocaine seizure at Heathrow Airport
- Credit: Archant
A 61-year-old woman from Cambridgeshire has appeared in court after Border Force officers at Heathrow Airport seized approximately 6kg of cocaine with a street value of £240,000.
June Ireland, of Bell Gardens, Haddenham, who had been on holiday in Sao Paulo, Brazil, was charged with drug importation and appeared at Uxbridge Magistrates Court yesterday.
The drugs were discovered following a luggage search at Terminal One at about 3.50pm on Tuesday.
She entered a not guilty plea and was remanded in custody. She is due to appear at Isleworth Crown Court on January 2 2014.
The case has been passed to the National Crime Agency for further investigation.
You may also want to watch:
Marc Owen, director of Border Force at Heathrow, said: “This is a significant seizure of an extremely harmful drug and I would like to pay tribute to the vigilance and hard work of the officers involved.
“We will continue to work hard to keep our borders safe and crack down on drug smuggling.”
- 1 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 2 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 3 Residents 'horrified' by Swastika graffiti in grounds of Ely Cathedral
- 4 Lockdown easing - 10 pubs and restaurants say welcome back
- 5 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 6 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
- 7 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 8 Littleport marks Royal British Legion centenary year with moving ceremony
- 9 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
- 10 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
Anyone with information about activity they suspect may be linked to smuggling should call the hotline on 0800 59 5000.