Haddenham woman charged after £240,000 cocaine seizure at Heathrow Airport
- Credit: Archant
A 61-year-old woman from Cambridgeshire has appeared in court after Border Force officers at Heathrow Airport seized approximately 6kg of cocaine with a street value of £240,000.
June Ireland, of Bell Gardens, Haddenham, who had been on holiday in Sao Paulo, Brazil, was charged with drug importation and appeared at Uxbridge Magistrates Court yesterday.
The drugs were discovered following a luggage search at Terminal One at about 3.50pm on Tuesday.
She entered a not guilty plea and was remanded in custody. She is due to appear at Isleworth Crown Court on January 2 2014.
The case has been passed to the National Crime Agency for further investigation.
You may also want to watch:
Marc Owen, director of Border Force at Heathrow, said: “This is a significant seizure of an extremely harmful drug and I would like to pay tribute to the vigilance and hard work of the officers involved.
“We will continue to work hard to keep our borders safe and crack down on drug smuggling.”
- 1 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 2 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 3 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 4 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 5 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 6 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 7 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 8 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 9 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
Anyone with information about activity they suspect may be linked to smuggling should call the hotline on 0800 59 5000.