School stages ‘at home nature day’ for families and pupils in lockdown
- Credit: Supplied
Pupils and families stuck indoors in lockdown enjoyed a ‘at home nature day’ linked with a Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) event.
Robert Arkenstall Primary School in Haddenham near Ely hosted the one-off ‘break’ and tied it in with the RSPB’s ‘Big Garden Birdwatch 2021’.
Kate Bonney, headteacher, said: “It has been lovely to see so many of our children enjoying a nature focus this week.
“Staying close to nature is well known for being good for wellbeing and it was great to give children a break from their normal routine.”
“After a week of homeschool, which can get stressful at times, it really has made a lovely end to the week,” said one parent.
“Our daughter has been engaged and focused with all the tasks and has learnt many practical tasks including personal safety whilst using tools to make her ladybird house.
“She’s learned the importance of patience, with it paying off counting the birds whilst in her bird hide and the different types of birds found and the foods they eat.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 4 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 5 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 6 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 7 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 8 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 9 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 10 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
“It has really given her a boost.
“It was a lovely change to the pace of recent weeks and there was a good variety of activities for all age groups.”
Robert Arkenstall is planning a series of 'off-screen' days over the coming weeks to help keep families motivated during this challenging time.