Gwen dubbed the Titanic baby and born just after infamous ship went down celebrates her 100th birthday
ELY centenarian Gwen Lee was dubbed the Titanic baby by friends and family when she was born just a few weeks after the infamous ship went down in 1912.
A hundred years on and Gwen is now celebrating her landmark birthday as memorial services to mark the sinking of the ship take place.
“I was born just after the Titanic went down and they used to call me the Titanic baby, I think I’m a bit big for that now, though!” said Gwen.
Born and raised in Ely, Gwen went to school in Market Street and Broad Street before taking up a role as a house cleaner.
You may also want to watch:
She married land worker Harry Lee at Ely Registry Office and the couple had a daughter, Beryl. Gwen also has two grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
She celebrated her big day surrounded by family on Monday at the Lily House Care Home in Ely.
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 5 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 6 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 7 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 8 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside