Gwen dubbed the Titanic baby and born just after infamous ship went down celebrates her 100th birthday
ELY centenarian Gwen Lee was dubbed the Titanic baby by friends and family when she was born just a few weeks after the infamous ship went down in 1912.
A hundred years on and Gwen is now celebrating her landmark birthday as memorial services to mark the sinking of the ship take place.
“I was born just after the Titanic went down and they used to call me the Titanic baby, I think I’m a bit big for that now, though!” said Gwen.
Born and raised in Ely, Gwen went to school in Market Street and Broad Street before taking up a role as a house cleaner.
You may also want to watch:
She married land worker Harry Lee at Ely Registry Office and the couple had a daughter, Beryl. Gwen also has two grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
She celebrated her big day surrounded by family on Monday at the Lily House Care Home in Ely.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 4 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 5 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 6 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 7 Prosecuted drone pilot breached Civil Aviation Authority regulations
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 10 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.