Guided walks set to explore Ely’s gems this Easter
- Credit: Archant
Ely’s most spectacular landmarks will form the backdrop to a series of guided walks arranged for the Easter bank holiday.
Setting off from Ely Tourist Information Centre, the first event on Good Friday will explore the city’s architecture, examining its period buildings with the help of an expert.
On Saturday, the group will discover the history of this magnificent city walking along its medieval paths and monastic buildings.
It will include information on the origins of the Cathedral and the importance of trade in this former Isle of Eels.
On Easter Sunday a riverside walk is planned.
You may also want to watch:
This expanded tour takes in the city centre as well as the stunning views.
Visitors will learn about the draining of the fens, the life of the Fen Folk and how the river serves visitors and residents today.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
On Bank holiday Monday, Ely’s monastic walk will explore the grounds of the largest group of medieval monastic buildings still in use today while a guide tells tales of monks and royalty.
Tourism manager Tracey Harding said: “This is your chance to learn a little more about our beautiful city with one of our informative guides. The perfect activity if you have friends and family visiting or just need to work off some of that Easter chocolate.”
Tickets are £4 each.
For more information and to book on-line please go to www.olivercromwellshouse.co.uk.
All tours depart at 11.30am from Ely’s Tourist Information Centre.