Mishap on the guided busway as motorist inflates air bag after straying onto the track near Histon in Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Archant
A couple out for a walk today said they were “a bit startled” to see a motorist suddenly realise they had strayed onto the guided busway at Histon.
“This is what we saw 150 yards west of Station Road, Histon,” said the woman. “Basically it ended up with two buses stuck behind a car – with a recovery van reversing very slowly from New Road end, Histon, and west of the village.”
The eye witness said: “I was out for a walk with my brother when we suddenly realised there was a car on the busway and the driver frantically trying to get out after the airbag temporarily trapped them.”
She said it looked as if the motorist had turned onto the guided bus way, got past the ‘car trap’ designed to stop drivers, and ended up on the track.
The woman felt the motorist was either driving too fast and lost their sense of direction or had strayed onto the guided busway by accident and was trying to get out when the car went onto the track.
You may also want to watch:
Buses were forced to divert through the village whilst the car was removed and engineers inspected the damage.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 7 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire