Greater Anglia director goes ‘back to the floor’ as conductor on train travelling to Cambridge
- Credit: Archant
Passengers on a Greater Anglia train were surprised to find that their conductor was the company’s managing director, Jamie Burles, as he went ‘back to the floor’ to experience the role first-hand.
Mr Burles worked the 1.40pm service from Norwich to Cambridge, shadowing conductor Martin Neal, and helped to check tickets, make announcements and assist customers.
Martin, 53, from Norwich, has been a conductor for the last five years, and invited Mr Burles to spend a day with him to experience the front line customer service role first-hand.
Mr Burles said: “This was a great opportunity for me to participate in the day-to-day operation of the business and receive feedback from staff and customers while out and about at stations and on the trains.
“It was also a good fact-finding opportunity which will further ensure that staff have the very best tools to do the job so that they can give the best service to our passengers.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Neal said: “It’s nice for him to come out and see what happens on the train. I’ve been able to show Jamie many different things to do with the role and give some feedback which he can take away with him to help improve the service and solve some issues which will help us in our roles as conductors.”
Mr Burles was presented with his own conductor’s whistle and watch, and he has invited Mr Neal to spend a day with him to find out more about the role of a director.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November