Great turnout for pea shooting contest
THE hotly-contested World Pea Shooting Championships took place in Witcham on Saturday. The competition, now in its 37th year, saw competitors hailing from far and wide. Experienced shooter George Hollis, victor in 1994 and 1995, won the world title for t
THE hotly-contested World Pea Shooting Championships took place in Witcham on Saturday.
The competition, now in its 37th year, saw competitors hailing from far and wide.
Experienced shooter George Hollis, victor in 1994 and 1995, won the world title for the third time and Alistair Berry finished runner-up.
Sandra Ashley won the women's category for the third year in a row, with Emma Wood runner-up, and the children's category was won by Joshua Carter, with Alfie Ball in second place.
You may also want to watch:
Treasurer of the Witcham Village Hall Committee, Judy Phillips, said: "The weather was fine and the turnout was the best we've had for years. We raised more than £1,300 for the village hall, which is a fantastic achievement."
The World Pea Shooting Championships have been held on the village green in Witcham since 1971.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Labour backs calls for extra Covid-19 safety measures in schools
They started after the village schoolmaster, Mr Tyson, caught some pupils amusing each other by pinging peas one another and he confiscated the offending weapons.
The village had identified the need for a village hall at the time and were seeking ways to raise funds and Mr Tyson suggested the World Pea Shooting Championships.
The hall was duly built, and the rest...
Mr Tyson died in 2003 and the winner receives the John Tyson Shield.