Grants for Haddenham result in new children’s play park and new loos for the sports and social club
FACILITIES in Haddenham have had a face lift this summer, with nearly �100,00 being spent on a new play park, and almost �10,000 being spent on refurbishing the toilets at the village sports and social club.
Children in the village have had a whale of a time throughout the summer holidays, using the exciting new equipment, including a zip wire, installed on the recreation ground at Hop Row.
Nearly half the funding for the play equipment came from WREN, a non profit making body that distributes landfill tax credits; and WREN also paid for �9,310 worth of work on the toilets.
Sarah Gosling from WREN said: “It was a unique situation, for two projects from the same village to be supported by the panel in the same round of funding.”
The parish council master minded the play park project, which also includes outdoor gym equipment, big climbing blocks and a nest swing that can accommodate up to six children.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Gareth Wilson, who applied for various grants to finance the play park scheme on behalf of the council, said: “We have had some great reactions to the new equipment, some children sent a beautiful card, saying it is amazing and wonderful.
“The children have been queuing up to use the new facilities, everyone says it is a big improvement.”
- 1 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Policing stepped up to tackle criminal damage and anti-social behaviour
- 5 Man named following fatal collision
- 6 Son's touching tribute: 'My father fought with passion for that in which he believed'
- 7 Councillor Bill, 75, says Covid-19 jab was 'perfect'
- 8 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 9 Skipper eyes plans to go one better for village cricketers
- 10 Green light for off-licence despite objections
Funds for the play park project included a �35,000 grant from WREN, �10,000 came from the Lottery Awards for All scheme, and �50,000 from 106 money, given to the parish by developers. Cllr Wilson added: “The parish council is very grateful for the grants it received, and Haddenham Sport and Social club is delighted with the improved toilet facilities.”
The new play park will be officially opened at 3pm on Thursday September 6, by Baroness Ros Scott of Needham Market. It is hoped that children and their families will attend, and enjoy a bring and share picnic.