Grand prize indeed
Soham pensioners Aubrey and Brenda Rump are planning a trip to the Caribbean after scooping £5,000 in a prize draw. The Rumps, of Brook Street, will take a cruise to exotic climes later in the year after the unexpected windfall, which they won in a nation
Soham pensioners Aubrey and Brenda Rump are planning a trip to the Caribbean after scooping £5,000 in a prize draw.
The Rumps, of Brook Street, will take a cruise to exotic climes later in the year after the unexpected windfall, which they won in a nationwide draw with building society Abbey.
"It's a marvellous thing to win," said Mrs Rump, 71. "When we first got the letter through in February, we had to check to see if it was a scam. It was only when we rang Abbey that we realised the letter was genuine."
Mr Rump, a 74-year-old former bus driver, popped into the Cambridge branch of Abbey in December with his wife purely to enter the draw. They are both long-standing Abbey customers.
"It was so unexpected," said Mrs Rump, a former office worker. "We've always wanted to go on a cruise and we haven't got any of the brochures yet but it's something we are definitely planning. I fancy the Caribbean myself."
The Rumps were given their cheque
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 4 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 5 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 6 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 7 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 8 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 9 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 10 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
during a special presentation at the
Cambridge branch last month. The draw jackpot was £20,000, five runners-up scooped £10,000 each and Mr and Mrs Rump were one of three £5,000 winners.
Pictured, Aubrey and Brenda receive their windfall from Karen Maistre of Santander, Abbey's parent company.