Grand prize indeed
Soham pensioners Aubrey and Brenda Rump are planning a trip to the Caribbean after scooping £5,000 in a prize draw. The Rumps, of Brook Street, will take a cruise to exotic climes later in the year after the unexpected windfall, which they won in a nation
Soham pensioners Aubrey and Brenda Rump are planning a trip to the Caribbean after scooping £5,000 in a prize draw.
The Rumps, of Brook Street, will take a cruise to exotic climes later in the year after the unexpected windfall, which they won in a nationwide draw with building society Abbey.
"It's a marvellous thing to win," said Mrs Rump, 71. "When we first got the letter through in February, we had to check to see if it was a scam. It was only when we rang Abbey that we realised the letter was genuine."
Mr Rump, a 74-year-old former bus driver, popped into the Cambridge branch of Abbey in December with his wife purely to enter the draw. They are both long-standing Abbey customers.
You may also want to watch:
"It was so unexpected," said Mrs Rump, a former office worker. "We've always wanted to go on a cruise and we haven't got any of the brochures yet but it's something we are definitely planning. I fancy the Caribbean myself."
The Rumps were given their cheque
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 10 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
during a special presentation at the
Cambridge branch last month. The draw jackpot was £20,000, five runners-up scooped £10,000 each and Mr and Mrs Rump were one of three £5,000 winners.
Pictured, Aubrey and Brenda receive their windfall from Karen Maistre of Santander, Abbey's parent company.