Governor and former MP will open Soham school extension
- Credit: Archant
THE former chairman of Cambridgeshire County Council will officially opens a new multi-million pound extension at the Weatheralls Primary School in Soham early next month.
John Powley, who was chairman of the County Council between 2011 and 2013, is also a governor at the school.
He will cut the ribbon to unveil the £3m extension at a special ceremony at the school at 10am on July 2.
The scheme was funded by Cambridgeshire County Council and completed by Coulson Building Group. Mr Powley will be joined by children, governors, parents and representatives from other schools in Soham.
Special guests include members of the Fairhurst and Edgley families - both of whom had children at the Weatheralls who sadly died. The Fairhurst family have set up the Liam Fairhurst Foundation to raise money for cancer research and to support families with members suffering from cancer. The new school hall is called the Fairhurst Hall and a section of the gardens have been named after Peter Edgley.
You may also want to watch:
The new building provides the school with a two-storey extension, incorporating a new entrance, six classrooms, a new hall and school office.
Head teacher Chrissy Barclay said: “We are delighted with our lovely new extension and proud that it will allow us to meet the needs of our community and rapidly growing school population. The children and staff are thrilled with the new facilities and are looking forward to an exciting future.”
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 6 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
The whole school will be celebrating with a balloon release after the morning’s formal opening.