Government backing for cinema and restaurant plans
- Credit: Archant
The Government has given its blessing for plans for a new multi-screen cinema and restaurants in Ely.
The plans were approved by councillors back in April but had to be referred to the Secretary of State for Local Government, Greg Clark, because of their size and scale.
This week, East Cambridgeshire District Council was informed that Mr Clark had decided not to call the plans in for further scrutiny, clearing the way for developers to begin work on the site.
The developer, Turnstone, said that 280 jobs could be created as part of the development, located in Downham Road, next to the Ely Outdoor Sports Association, with the cinema potentially open by the summer of 2016.
There will be two drive-thru restaurants, as well as up to eight other food outlets. Negotiations are taking place with fast-food chains McDonalds and KFC.
You may also want to watch:
An underpass linking the cinema to the rest of Ely will be lit and monitored by CCTV, Turnstone said, with almost 400 parking spaces available.
The current Ely city service bus route could be extended to cover the new facility, but negotiations are still taking place with the new owner, Stagecoach.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Will the new development be a positive thing for Ely? Send your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Ely Standard, Alexander House, Fore Hill, Ely, CB7 4AF.