Good for you!
SUTTON pensioners Dennis Leggett and Louise Saberton proved that age is no barrier to true love – by tying the knot aged 80 and 74 respectively. The couple, known as Sam and Mary, wed at St Andrew s Church on Saturday to prove the theory that age is just
SUTTON pensioners Dennis Leggett and Louise Saberton proved that age is no barrier to true love - by tying the knot aged 80 and 74 respectively.
The couple, known as Sam and Mary, wed at St Andrew's Church on Saturday to prove the theory that age is just a number.
After being childhood sweethearts in Branch Bank, Prickwillow - where they lived one house apart from each other - the couple went their separate ways after Mary, a former school cook and caretaker, left Prickwillow to pursue a career in horticulture at Wisbech aged 17.
She married Charlie Barlow in 1951 in Chatteris, where she worked at Cromwell School at the King Edward Centre.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Barlow died in 1970 and she married Alec Saberton in 1972. He passed away in 1995.
Sam married Evelyn, his wife of 53 years, in 1942, and he spent most of his working life on the farm of local man Frederick Hiam. Evelyn died three years ago.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 5 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 6 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 9 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
"We felt we needed this commitment," revealed Mary. "Of course it shows that age is no barrier to true love. I think it did catch us by surprise that we would get together again but life's like that, isn't it? It hits you around the back of the head."
Mary was given away by her son, Sid Barlow, and best man was Sam's son, Tony.
Mary was attended by two bridesmaids, grand-daughters Katy and Holly Barlow.
The reception was held at the Captain's Table, Hertford Marina.
The couple are to honeymoon in Newquay, Cornwall, and will live in Oates Lane, Sutton. The day was also special in that it is the first birthday of Mary's great-grandson, Ryan Moye.