Olympic champ Goldie Sayers will be guest speaker at Ely SportsAid event
- Credit: Archant
Olympic Bronze medal javelin thrower Goldie Sayers will be guest speaker at Ely’s SportsAid Summer Lunch.
Katherine Dinah “Goldie” Sayers, from Newmarket, had three Olympic appearances, five world championships, two world championship finals and multiple British records throughout her career.
After more than a decade as the best British javelin thrower, she hung up her spikes after the Rio Olympics.
She will be appearing as guest speaker at Ely City Golf Club, in Cambridge Road, at 12.30pm on June 15.
SportsAid support the next generation of British sports stars by holding events throughout the UK.
You may also want to watch:
Goldie retired feeling cheated and had a deep sense of injustice as she waits for Beijing bronze medal.
She initially finished fourth at the Beijing Games, but retesting of anti-doping samples uncovered a doping violation for Russia’s Mariya Abakumova – who had claimed silver – which saw the British athlete elevated to third.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
Goldie discovered she was to be upgraded to the podium while driving on the motorway to meet her mother for a coffee at a Newmarket supermarket.
Initially she was just really happy, after she had been chasing something that had eluded her.