Olympic champ Goldie Sayers will be guest speaker at Ely SportsAid event
- Credit: Archant
Olympic Bronze medal javelin thrower Goldie Sayers will be guest speaker at Ely’s SportsAid Summer Lunch.
Katherine Dinah “Goldie” Sayers, from Newmarket, had three Olympic appearances, five world championships, two world championship finals and multiple British records throughout her career.
After more than a decade as the best British javelin thrower, she hung up her spikes after the Rio Olympics.
She will be appearing as guest speaker at Ely City Golf Club, in Cambridge Road, at 12.30pm on June 15.
SportsAid support the next generation of British sports stars by holding events throughout the UK.
Goldie retired feeling cheated and had a deep sense of injustice as she waits for Beijing bronze medal.
She initially finished fourth at the Beijing Games, but retesting of anti-doping samples uncovered a doping violation for Russia’s Mariya Abakumova – who had claimed silver – which saw the British athlete elevated to third.
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 Ely Road closed as pedestrian hit in Littleport
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 5 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 6 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 7 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 8 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 9 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 10 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
Goldie discovered she was to be upgraded to the podium while driving on the motorway to meet her mother for a coffee at a Newmarket supermarket.
Initially she was just really happy, after she had been chasing something that had eluded her.