Golden couple Gary and Lynn mark anniversary with charity donation
- Credit: Archant
On-call firefighters in Littleport welcomed a £362 charity donation from a couple celebrating their golden wedding anniversary.
Retired crew commander Gary Boon and his wife Lynn celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on February 7 and instead of receiving presents, they requested guests attending their celebrations make a donation to the Fire Fighters Charity.
Gary, who served at Littleport for 28 years, said: “We had a fantastic evening catching up with all our friends. Lynn and I are glad so many people could make the evening and donate, but I’m not sure where 50 years has gone!”
The couple were an integral part of the fire station while Gary was serving, with Lynn being the station cleaner for many years and Gary giving 100 per cent availability and always striving to be first to the station when a call came in.
Watch commander Clive Allen said: “Littleport Fire Station congratulates Gary and Lynn on their Golden wedding anniversary, which is a big milestone. We are extremely thankful for this donation on behalf of the charity.
You may also want to watch:
“Gary and Lynn keep in contact with the station and Gary is always keen to find out what we have been doing and any calls we have been on. When we catch up he always gives me tongue in cheek advice into how he would have done it in his day.”
The couple visited the station last Monday to hand over the cheque and share fire service memories with the crew.
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 3 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
- 10 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
Gary added: “I have fond memories of my days with the station and the passion for the camaraderie never fades. I still miss, it even today.”