A LITTLEPORT couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary by inviting friends to a coffee morning last week before setting off on holiday to a secret destination. Donald and Thelma Gowler, both 76, celebrated with friends at Axiom Housing Associati
A LITTLEPORT couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary by inviting friends to a coffee morning last week before setting off on holiday to a secret destination.
Donald and Thelma Gowler, both 76, celebrated with friends at Axiom Housing Association's Beech Court sheltered housing scheme in Parson's Lane, Littleport, where they are both residents.
The couple then left for a celebratory holiday - without telling anyone where they were going.
Mr Gowler, who was a sign-writer until his retirement, said: "We originally met on a dance floor at a hall in Woking."
You may also want to watch:
"Our wedding day was typically English - it was bitterly cold and there was almost a foot of snow on the ground."
After leaving Woking, the couple moved around the country before emigrating to Australia for 15 years.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
On their return to Britain, they lived in the Forest of Dean before settling in the Fens.
They have one child and three grandchildren.
Beech Court scheme manager Jacqualine Hawkins said: "We are delighted to help Donald and Thelma mark this major milestone and I'm sure they, along with our other residents, have enjoyed the celebrations.