A LITTLEPORT couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary by inviting friends to a coffee morning last week before setting off on holiday to a secret destination. Donald and Thelma Gowler, both 76, celebrated with friends at Axiom Housing Associati
A LITTLEPORT couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary by inviting friends to a coffee morning last week before setting off on holiday to a secret destination.
Donald and Thelma Gowler, both 76, celebrated with friends at Axiom Housing Association's Beech Court sheltered housing scheme in Parson's Lane, Littleport, where they are both residents.
The couple then left for a celebratory holiday - without telling anyone where they were going.
Mr Gowler, who was a sign-writer until his retirement, said: "We originally met on a dance floor at a hall in Woking."
"Our wedding day was typically English - it was bitterly cold and there was almost a foot of snow on the ground."
After leaving Woking, the couple moved around the country before emigrating to Australia for 15 years.
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 4 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 5 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 8 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
On their return to Britain, they lived in the Forest of Dean before settling in the Fens.
They have one child and three grandchildren.
Beech Court scheme manager Jacqualine Hawkins said: "We are delighted to help Donald and Thelma mark this major milestone and I'm sure they, along with our other residents, have enjoyed the celebrations.