Globetrotting Edward the teddy bear helps to raise £1,848 for End Polio Now
- Credit: Archant
Edward the teddy bear has travelled across Japan, Niagara Falls, the USA, India and Disneyworld in the last year, all for an incredibly good cause.
With his Pet Passport approved by Pet Doctors’ Ernesto Hernandez, Edward has travelled over 47,000 miles since last July and raised £616 – which was then trebled to £1,848 - for the End Polio Now campaign.
Joining Soham Rotary Club and sponsors Pet Doctors, Edward was passed around among friends and members to accompany them on their holiday travels.
His mileage was then clocked up using the Pet Passport and a competition followed where people gave a £1 donation and guessed how far Edward would travel over the year.
The donations were then trebled by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, taking the total to over £1,800 and a cheque was presented to the cause.
You may also want to watch:
The winner of the competition, Lynne Turner, was then given £100 for her guess which was only 40 miles off the final answer by Pet Doctors who sponsored the event.
Chris Whipp, of Pet Doctors, and Bruce Golson, president of Soham Rotary, came up with the fun competition.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
Chris said: “The money raised will go towards giving 4,000 children a vaccination against polio disease.
“It is also expected that in the next five years the disease will be wiped out.”
For more information or to donate to End Polio Now, visit http://www.endpolio.org/