Girls choir to make cathedral history
THE 16 members of the new Ely Cathedral Girls Choir will make history on Wednesday, November 15 when they sing their first Evensong in the cathedral at 5.30pm. The girls, aged 13-18, are all boarding pupils in King s Senior School, and will contribute si
THE 16 members of the new Ely Cathedral Girls' Choir will make history on Wednesday, November 15 when they sing their first Evensong in the cathedral at 5.30pm.
The girls, aged 13-18, are all boarding pupils in King's Senior School, and will contribute significantly to cathedral services as the months go by, but the majority of the first half of this Michaelmas term is being spent 'settling in' - getting used to their rehearsal schedule and learning repertoire.
The girls' choir director Louise Reid was founder director of the Guildford Cathedral Girl Choristers.
The school is funding the girls' choral bursaries and all associated staffing costs so there is no drain on the cathedral's resources.
Head of King's Sue Freestone and King's governor, Peter Dawe, are both active members of the cathedral's Music Appeal and the founding of the choir helped focus national attention on the cathedral's established reputation as a centre of musical excellence.
Mrs Freestone hopes a large congregation will attend the event to help write a new chapter in the history of Ely and its cathedral.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 4 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 5 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 6 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 7 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 8 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
- 9 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
INFO: Auditions for the Girls' Choir - and for boy choristers - will be held February 3, 2007. More information is available from the school on 01353 660700 or email: email@example.com.