Gift for mum
YOU can win £50 of flowers of your choice from Garden Gate Flowers, in Ely, in our fabulous Mother s Day Competition. Garden Gate Flowers has been operating from premises in St Mary s Street for 25 years selling bouquets, hand-tied and vase arrangements
YOU can win £50 of flowers of your choice from Garden Gate Flowers, in Ely, in our fabulous Mother's Day Competition.
Garden Gate Flowers has been operating from premises in St Mary's Street for 25 years selling bouquets, hand-tied and vase arrangements as well as teddies, chocolates and balloons - all of which could make your mum feel extra-special on Mother's Day.
The shop is normally open from 8.30am-5pm, Monday to Saturday, but it will also be open on Mother's Day on March 18 for those last-minute gift ideas.
Mother's Day has been celebrated since the 16th Century. Traditionally known as Mothering Sunday, it is always on the fourth Sunday of Lent so, like Easter, it falls on a different day each year.
You may also want to watch:
It was often called Refreshment Sunday because the fasting rules of Lent were relaxed. People went "a mothering", taking gifts of flowers, eggs or cake, particularly young girls and boys in service.
This was the only day in the year they could visit their families.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
For a long time it has been a day to give thanks for all the things our mother's do for us.
To be in with a chance of winning £50 of flowers for your mum, answer this question:
On which date does Mothering Sunday fall this year?
Put your answer on a postcard and mark it Ely Standard Mother's Day Competition and send it to: Ely Standard, 38 Market Street, Ely CB7 4LS. Entries must reach us by March 14. You can e-mail your entry to email@example.com
Please note: The winner must be prepared to have a photograph taken of them receiving their prize, which will be published in the Ely Standard.
INFO: Telephone 01353 662170 or you can visit the website www.gardengateflorists-ely.co.uk