Giant's Head Sculpture Unveiled at Burwell House
CHILDREN have been involved in the creation and design of three giants heads which were unveiled at sites across Cambridgeshire last week.Each of Cambridgeshire County Council s outdoor education centres – Grafham Water Centre, Burwell House and the Sti
CHILDREN have been involved in the creation and design of three giants' heads which were unveiled at sites across Cambridgeshire last week.
Each of Cambridgeshire County Council's outdoor education centres - Grafham Water Centre, Burwell House and the Stibbington Centre - commissioned one of the sculptures.
The Burwell House sculpture was unveiled by Cllr John Powley, vice-chairman of the county council and county councillor for Soham and Fordham.
Youngsters who visited Burwell House during the summer term were encouraged to develop ideas for the sculptures by working on the theme of outdoor learning opportunities, the awakening of possibilities and the vastness of the outdoors.
Staff at Burwell House study and conference centre were keen for visiting children to be involved in the design and naming of their 'giant'. More than 300 entries were received. These were shortlisted and given to artist David Swinton to interpret and use in his final design.
The sculpture incorporates several characteristics typical of Burwell, such as the use of Burwell-manufactured bricks, Burwell-dug clunch - a hard chalk used in building - and the leafy garden of Burwell House itself.
- 1 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 2 Fire crews called to car fire on railway line
- 3 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 4 Councillor quits as voters get set for two Ely by-elections
- 5 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 6 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 7 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 8 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 9 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 10 Hunt is on for arsonists after 5am car fire
The unveiling ceremony included pupils from Bury Primary School near Huntingdon, who helped design the giant.
The project has been funded by Cambridgeshire Culture, a fund set aside to promote the arts and culture in Cambridgeshire. Cambridgeshire Culture sets out to ensure that all children and young people in the county have access to a range of cultural experiences.
3249: Bury School pupils unveil the giant head at Burwell House along with, from left, head of school Peter Allen, head of Burwell House James Dawkins, Cllr John Powley and sculptor David Swinton.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE