Giant's Head Sculpture Unveiled at Burwell House
CHILDREN have been involved in the creation and design of three giants heads which were unveiled at sites across Cambridgeshire last week.Each of Cambridgeshire County Council s outdoor education centres – Grafham Water Centre, Burwell House and the Sti
CHILDREN have been involved in the creation and design of three giants' heads which were unveiled at sites across Cambridgeshire last week.
Each of Cambridgeshire County Council's outdoor education centres - Grafham Water Centre, Burwell House and the Stibbington Centre - commissioned one of the sculptures.
The Burwell House sculpture was unveiled by Cllr John Powley, vice-chairman of the county council and county councillor for Soham and Fordham.
Youngsters who visited Burwell House during the summer term were encouraged to develop ideas for the sculptures by working on the theme of outdoor learning opportunities, the awakening of possibilities and the vastness of the outdoors.
You may also want to watch:
Staff at Burwell House study and conference centre were keen for visiting children to be involved in the design and naming of their 'giant'. More than 300 entries were received. These were shortlisted and given to artist David Swinton to interpret and use in his final design.
The sculpture incorporates several characteristics typical of Burwell, such as the use of Burwell-manufactured bricks, Burwell-dug clunch - a hard chalk used in building - and the leafy garden of Burwell House itself.
- 1 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 2 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 3 Glass artist's angel wings sculpture is a poignant tribute
- 4 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 5 Father's Day messages inside this week's newspaper
- 6 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 7 Letter: Final call to book Covid vaccination
- 8 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 9 A nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- 10 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
The unveiling ceremony included pupils from Bury Primary School near Huntingdon, who helped design the giant.
The project has been funded by Cambridgeshire Culture, a fund set aside to promote the arts and culture in Cambridgeshire. Cambridgeshire Culture sets out to ensure that all children and young people in the county have access to a range of cultural experiences.
3249: Bury School pupils unveil the giant head at Burwell House along with, from left, head of school Peter Allen, head of Burwell House James Dawkins, Cllr John Powley and sculptor David Swinton.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE