GETTING TO KNOW YOU: This week, Maria Stableford answers our quickfire questions
- Credit: Archant
1. What do you do?
I am a mum of two teenage girls and a medically retired police officer.
2. Why would people know you?
I have set up the Littleport Disability Access Group and the Ely and surrounding villages Fibromyalgia support group. More recently I helped Lee ‘the Ely willow man’ when his home and business sunk on the Great Ouse.
3. What are you passionate about?
Being active in the community and helping to give a voice to those with a disability whom may be struggling to get their local needs across.
4. What are your pet hates?
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 Ely Road closed as pedestrian hit in Littleport
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 5 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 6 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 7 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 8 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 9 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 10 Inclusivity at the heart of Dr Pip's goals ahead of Ely by-election
People who dither at a roundabout.
5. What is your favourite thing about East Cambridgeshire?
It has to be the stunning open spaces and the river.
6. Which TV programme has you reaching for the off button, and why?
Any cooking programme as it makes me reach for an extra cake.
7. If you won £5,000 what would you spend it on?
A holiday for my family to the Lake District as we love the author, farmer and land preserver Beatrix Potter.
8. Place you would never want to return to and why?
Any pretentious London restaurant which charges the earth for something containing micro-herbs.
9. Which three people would you like to have dinner with?
The Dali Lama, Liam Neeson, The Queen, John Prescott and the runner.
10. Who was your childhood hero and why?
Zola Budd, because she never gave up.
11. Biggest regret in life or biggest achievement?
When I was in my early 20’s I worked at an American summer camp and I was offered a permanent place to stay and work their and I never took it up.
12. What character would you dress as for a fancy dress party?
Alice in Wonderland.