Gardens win award for second year
ELY S Jubilee Gardens have won a coveted award for being among the best parks and green spaces in the country. Opened in 2002 by Prince Phillip to mark the Queen s Jubilee, Jubilee Gardens have been awarded the Green Flag Award – the national benchmark fo
ELY'S Jubilee Gardens have won a coveted award for being among the best parks and green spaces in the country.
Opened in 2002 by Prince Phillip to mark the Queen's Jubilee, Jubilee Gardens have been awarded the Green Flag Award - the national benchmark for quality - for the second year running.
Winners are judged to be welcoming, safe and well maintained, with the strong involvement of the community.
East Cambridgeshire District Council's principal facilities officer, Keith Stronach, said: "We are pleased and proud to have received this award again and it is a reflection of the hard work of the council's open spaces team working in partnership with the Friends of Jubilee Gardens".
You may also want to watch:
Liveability Minister, Kay Andrews, said "This has been a decade of real achievement for our park and green spaces. Across the country, communities have seen a renaissance take place in their environment, with parks and green spaces once again becoming places of pride, bringing people together and improving quality of life.
"The Green Flag award will continue to be at the heart of driving up standards. Our ambition is everyone should have easy access to superb green space where they live, work and spend their leisure time."
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
This year the Green Flag award will be marked by a special ceremony in Birmingham today (Thursday), when all winners will receive their awards.