Gallery & Video: Eel Day 2010
GLORIOUS sunshine and hundreds of visitors made for an Eel Day to remember on Saturday as the city paid homage to its famous namesake, the eel. Hundreds of people made the trip into the centre of Ely to take part in the event with a host of activities inc
GLORIOUS sunshine and hundreds of visitors made for an Eel Day to remember on Saturday as the city paid homage to its famous namesake, the eel.
Hundreds of people made the trip into the centre of Ely to take part in the event with a host of activities including eel throwing, parades, history demonstrations and the traditional town crier competition keeping people entertained at Jubilee Gardens for hours.
Ely Samba Band led the traditional procession from Ely Cathedral down to the Eel Day venue in Jubilee Gardens with an Eel King and Queen helping to carry a giant model eel through the city streets.
One of the highlights of the day was the traditional town crier competition with debutant John Stevens from Alnwick in Northumberland taking the title from three-time champion John Needham from Colchester.
You may also want to watch:
Terry Stubbins a crier from Lincoln won best themed cry and best dressed crier went to James Wearne, the Felixstowe Town Crier.
Ely's Town Crier, Avril Hayter-Smith, said: "The day was absolutely brilliant, the weather was wonderful and there was a really good attendance particularly for the town crier event which people really enjoyed.
- 1 Tributes paid to school matron who died from Covid-19
- 2 Health scare inspired slimmer’s incredible 10 stone weight loss
- 3 Student defies challenges of pandemic to achieve first class degree
- 4 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 5 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 6 Alcohol shoplifter threatened security staff with large blade
- 7 Policing stepped up to tackle criminal damage and anti-social behaviour
- 8 London man jailed for running drugs line between Cambs and capital
- 9 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 10 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby