GALLERY: Unsung heroes and sporting stars recognised at 2012 Ely Standard Sports Awards
PUBLISHED: 15:10 25 May 2012 | UPDATED: 16:34 25 May 2012
JAMIE Spalding has worked at Littleport Leisure Centre since leaving school - and last night his efforts were rewarded at the Ely Standard's 2012 Sports Awards.
Jamie was named East Cambridgeshire’s sports personality of the year at the awards, sponsored by Sainsbury’s of Ely and held at Ely Tigers Rugby Club.
He has worked in sport most of his life and has been working at Littleport Leisure Centre since he left school and since it was built.
The judges who chose Jamie as their overall winner said: “Jamie has overcome and achieved so much and it was about time that he was rewarded for his achievements.
“As it says in the nomination sport is his life. Jamie is a credit to the community and has shown great courage and a will to help others and should be commended for this.”
Jamie was also a finalist in the Service to Sport category, which was Ely runner John Turner.
About 85 guests - including finalists, sponsors and representatives of the Ely Standard’s parent company Archant Herts and Cambs - enjoyed a fish and chip supper courtesy of the Petrou Brothers before the awards were presented.
Host for this year’s awards was Heart Breakfast presenter Kev Lawrence, who said: “Sport is the lifeblood of the community for many people in the region and through the Ely Standard Sports Awards we aim to celebrate local sporting talent and achievements from the East Cambridgeshire area, especially during this Olympic Year.”
Eight awards were presented on the night. The winners were:
• Team of the Year (sponsored by East Cambs District Council) - Ely Roller Hockey Club
• Unsung Hero (sponsored by Archant Herts and Cambs) - Bob Button, chairman of Ely City FC
• Adult Achievement Award (sponsored by All4Sports) - David Mould, athlete
• Youth Achievement (Girls) - Rebecca Villis, horse riding
• Youth Achievement (Boys) - Ashley Pettit, cross-country runner
• Coach/Manager of the Year (sponsored by Sainsbury’s) - Pete Jones, Ely City Hockey Club
• Service to Sport (sponsored by the Witchford Schools Sports Partnership) - John Turner, Ely Runners
• Sports Personality of the Year (sponsored by Ivor Searle) - Jamie Spalding, Littleport Leisure Centre