GALLERY: Unsung heroes and sporting stars recognised at 2012 Ely Standard Sports Awards
JAMIE Spalding has worked at Littleport Leisure Centre since leaving school - and last night his efforts were rewarded at the Ely Standard’s 2012 Sports Awards.
Jamie was named East Cambridgeshire’s sports personality of the year at the awards, sponsored by Sainsbury’s of Ely and held at Ely Tigers Rugby Club.
He has worked in sport most of his life and has been working at Littleport Leisure Centre since he left school and since it was built.
The judges who chose Jamie as their overall winner said: “Jamie has overcome and achieved so much and it was about time that he was rewarded for his achievements.
“As it says in the nomination sport is his life. Jamie is a credit to the community and has shown great courage and a will to help others and should be commended for this.”
You may also want to watch:
Jamie was also a finalist in the Service to Sport category, which was Ely runner John Turner.
About 85 guests - including finalists, sponsors and representatives of the Ely Standard’s parent company Archant Herts and Cambs - enjoyed a fish and chip supper courtesy of the Petrou Brothers before the awards were presented.
- 1 Independent shop full of fresh food – despite national shortage
- 2 Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled over 'Covid uncertainty'
- 3 Mark's 27 unanswered questions over volunteers to control parking
- 4 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 5 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 6 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 7 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 8 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’
- 9 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 10 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
Host for this year’s awards was Heart Breakfast presenter Kev Lawrence, who said: “Sport is the lifeblood of the community for many people in the region and through the Ely Standard Sports Awards we aim to celebrate local sporting talent and achievements from the East Cambridgeshire area, especially during this Olympic Year.”
Eight awards were presented on the night. The winners were:
• Team of the Year (sponsored by East Cambs District Council) - Ely Roller Hockey Club
• Unsung Hero (sponsored by Archant Herts and Cambs) - Bob Button, chairman of Ely City FC
• Adult Achievement Award (sponsored by All4Sports) - David Mould, athlete
• Youth Achievement (Girls) - Rebecca Villis, horse riding
• Youth Achievement (Boys) - Ashley Pettit, cross-country runner
• Coach/Manager of the Year (sponsored by Sainsbury’s) - Pete Jones, Ely City Hockey Club
• Service to Sport (sponsored by the Witchford Schools Sports Partnership) - John Turner, Ely Runners
• Sports Personality of the Year (sponsored by Ivor Searle) - Jamie Spalding, Littleport Leisure Centre