Gallery: Thousands turn out for Ely Christmas Lights Switch-On
MORE than 6,000 people arrived in Ely for the Christmas lights switch-on on Friday and enjoyed an evening of music, dancing and fun. Families enjoyed the funfair with helter skelter, train rides and flying cars. There was a wide variety of stalls selling
MORE than 6,000 people arrived in Ely for the Christmas lights switch-on on Friday and enjoyed an evening of music, dancing and fun.
Families enjoyed the funfair with helter skelter, train rides and flying cars. There was a wide variety of stalls selling a range of unique gifts as well as many charity stalls and food vendors. Santa's Grotto was one of the most popular attractions.
The event was organised by the Ely Lions and the lights were turned on by Ely mayor Richard Hobbs.
Dance troupes, the Live N' Swingin' act and many more entertained the thousands who thronged Market Square and the surrounding streets, showing that the lights switch-on is still one of the most popular events of the year in Ely. Star Radio hosted the entertainment, which included Odyssey.
You may also want to watch:
Lions event manager, Ian Newstead, said: "We have raised thousands of pounds for local charities through this event and the Lions would like to thank all the sponsors, without whom these festivities would not be possible".
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 5 Letter: Why not use Ely Cathedral as a vaccination centre?
- 6 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 7 Fight with weapons outside gym leaves two people seriously injured
- 8 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 9 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years