Gallery ; Thousands Turn Out For Aquafest
AQUAFEST, one of Ely’s premier �summer events, was held on Sunday.
And, even after 32 years, it is still as popular as ever, attracting more than 8,000 people to central Ely.
The city was in festive mood as the river, �Lavender Green and Jubilee Gardens were decorated to celebrate the event which is organised and run by the Rotary Clubs of Ely.
Throughout the day entertainment was provided, featuring live music and dancing, a children’s fairground, birds of prey �demonstrations and a huge variety of stalls. The King’s School of Ely band was included in the programme for the first time and was very well received by a rapt audience.
One of the highlights of the Aquafest is the raft race where local business and groups �compete to complete a river course in the �fastest �possible time.
The winner this year, in a time of 8min 7sec, was Cambs Compressors. The raft adjudged Best Design was The Tank, built by the Motion in the Ocean team which featured a water cannon.
?More photos online at www.elystandard.co.uk
- 1 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 2 Fire crews called to car fire on railway line
- 3 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 4 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 5 Councillor quits as voters get set for two Ely by-elections
- 6 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 7 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 8 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 9 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 10 Hunt is on for arsonists after 5am car fire
Photos: HELEN DRAKE