Gallery ; Thousands Turn Out For Aquafest
AQUAFEST, one of Ely’s premier �summer events, was held on Sunday.
And, even after 32 years, it is still as popular as ever, attracting more than 8,000 people to central Ely.
The city was in festive mood as the river, �Lavender Green and Jubilee Gardens were decorated to celebrate the event which is organised and run by the Rotary Clubs of Ely.
Throughout the day entertainment was provided, featuring live music and dancing, a children’s fairground, birds of prey �demonstrations and a huge variety of stalls. The King’s School of Ely band was included in the programme for the first time and was very well received by a rapt audience.
One of the highlights of the Aquafest is the raft race where local business and groups �compete to complete a river course in the �fastest �possible time.
The winner this year, in a time of 8min 7sec, was Cambs Compressors. The raft adjudged Best Design was The Tank, built by the Motion in the Ocean team which featured a water cannon.
?More photos online at www.elystandard.co.uk
- 1 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 2 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 3 Mara is Ely Standard Pet of the Year - voted for by you
- 4 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 5 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 6 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
- 7 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 8 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 9 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 10 For Worship & Glory II exhibition coming to Ely Cathedral
Photos: HELEN DRAKE