Gallery ; Thousands Turn Out For Aquafest
AQUAFEST, one of Ely’s premier �summer events, was held on Sunday.
And, even after 32 years, it is still as popular as ever, attracting more than 8,000 people to central Ely.
The city was in festive mood as the river, �Lavender Green and Jubilee Gardens were decorated to celebrate the event which is organised and run by the Rotary Clubs of Ely.
Throughout the day entertainment was provided, featuring live music and dancing, a children’s fairground, birds of prey �demonstrations and a huge variety of stalls. The King’s School of Ely band was included in the programme for the first time and was very well received by a rapt audience.
One of the highlights of the Aquafest is the raft race where local business and groups �compete to complete a river course in the �fastest �possible time.
You may also want to watch:
The winner this year, in a time of 8min 7sec, was Cambs Compressors. The raft adjudged Best Design was The Tank, built by the Motion in the Ocean team which featured a water cannon.
?More photos online at www.elystandard.co.uk
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 3 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 4 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 5 Mayor's ‘hop-on hop-off' public travel revolution
- 6 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 7 Author opens school’s new library
- 8 Village housing in disarray after all the trustees quit
- 9 Town considers home for market
- 10 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
Photos: HELEN DRAKE