Gallery ; Thousands Turn Out For Aquafest
AQUAFEST, one of Ely’s premier �summer events, was held on Sunday.
And, even after 32 years, it is still as popular as ever, attracting more than 8,000 people to central Ely.
The city was in festive mood as the river, �Lavender Green and Jubilee Gardens were decorated to celebrate the event which is organised and run by the Rotary Clubs of Ely.
Throughout the day entertainment was provided, featuring live music and dancing, a children’s fairground, birds of prey �demonstrations and a huge variety of stalls. The King’s School of Ely band was included in the programme for the first time and was very well received by a rapt audience.
One of the highlights of the Aquafest is the raft race where local business and groups �compete to complete a river course in the �fastest �possible time.
You may also want to watch:
The winner this year, in a time of 8min 7sec, was Cambs Compressors. The raft adjudged Best Design was The Tank, built by the Motion in the Ocean team which featured a water cannon.
?More photos online at www.elystandard.co.uk
- 1 Holiday park 'honoured' to host Cambridge Boat Race teams
- 2 Cambridgeshire mourns death of HRH Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh
- 3 Museum shares historical photos of Ely Market and its royal visitors
- 4 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 5 Youngsters finally get their wish thanks to new goalposts
- 6 'Lot wrong' but opponents admit concrete plant expansion defeat
- 7 Rats spotted around overflowing bins in Ely
- 8 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
- 9 Counsellor moves practise outdoors with ‘Walk and Talk Sessions’
- 10 'Cash strapped' force picks up bill for 120 Boat Race police
Photos: HELEN DRAKE