Gallery ; Thousands Turn Out For Aquafest
AQUAFEST, one of Ely’s premier �summer events, was held on Sunday.
And, even after 32 years, it is still as popular as ever, attracting more than 8,000 people to central Ely.
The city was in festive mood as the river, �Lavender Green and Jubilee Gardens were decorated to celebrate the event which is organised and run by the Rotary Clubs of Ely.
Throughout the day entertainment was provided, featuring live music and dancing, a children’s fairground, birds of prey �demonstrations and a huge variety of stalls. The King’s School of Ely band was included in the programme for the first time and was very well received by a rapt audience.
One of the highlights of the Aquafest is the raft race where local business and groups �compete to complete a river course in the �fastest �possible time.
You may also want to watch:
The winner this year, in a time of 8min 7sec, was Cambs Compressors. The raft adjudged Best Design was The Tank, built by the Motion in the Ocean team which featured a water cannon.
?More photos online at www.elystandard.co.uk
- 1 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 2 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 3 Glass artist's angel wings sculpture is a poignant tribute
- 4 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 5 Father's Day messages inside this week's newspaper
- 6 Letter: Final call to book Covid vaccination
- 7 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 8 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 9 A nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- 10 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
Photos: HELEN DRAKE