Gallery: Runners Complete Cambridge Cancer Research 10K in Memory Of Liam
THOUSANDS of people ran the Cancer Research 10k in Cambridge on Saturday and among the runners were Ely Standard editor Debbie Davies and photographer Helen Drake. After weeks of training, the pair managed to complete the course, which took in parts of th
THOUSANDS of people ran the Cancer Research 10k in Cambridge on Saturday and among the runners were Ely Standard editor Debbie Davies and photographer Helen Drake. After weeks of training, the pair managed to complete the course, which took in parts of the historic city including running through Clare College, in a time of one hour and 11 minutes.
"There was a great atmosphere on the day and we felt privilege to be running alongside experienced runners as well as people who had recovered from cancer or were running in memory of family members who had died from the disease," said Debbie.
"Our main aim on the day was get round without stopping to rest and we achieved that, and a respectable time for our first event, so we feel much more confident about entering another event in the future."
Debbie and Helen also ran in memory of Soham schoolboy Liam Fairhurst who lost his battle with cancer in June. They set up a Run For Liam running group and were joined by Liam's mum Sarah Fairhurst, Fiona Hutton, Jeni Corken, Sue Wilden and Emma Bircham.
You may also want to watch:
Pic caps: 4836: Debbie Davies and Helen Drake after the race.
4841: The Run For Liam group.
- 1 Tributes paid to school matron who died from Covid-19
- 2 People power brings about changes to £800,000 roundabout scheme
- 3 Student defies challenges of pandemic to achieve first class degree
- 4 Retired GP's death 'avoidable' if cause of severe chest pain was 'more thoroughly investigated'
- 5 Alcohol shoplifter threatened security staff with large blade
- 6 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 7 Health scare inspired slimmer’s incredible 10 stone weight loss
- 8 London man jailed for running drugs line between Cambs and capital
- 9 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
- 10 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
4832: Two of the Run For Liam Group chose an unusual finishing style.
Photos: DAN MANSFIELD.