GALLERY: Michael Portillo the special guest as WI celebrate centenary event
- Credit: Archant
Former MP Michael Portillo was the special guest at the Isle of Ely WI’s annual meeting, held in Witchford.
The former Conservative cabinet minister entertained almost 300 guests from across the Isle of Ely area – speaking about his life in politics and subsequent career as a broadcaster.
Val West, chairman of the Isle of Ely WI, said: “Mr Portillo was an excellent speaker and had everybody amused and interested in his life story. He went on to talk about his career away from politics – including his popular train journeys.
“He spoke for about an hour-and-a-half, answered questions from the audience and then stayed behind to sign autographs and speak to members. It went very well indeed.”
Among a variety of questions put to him, Mr Portillo was even asked by the audience whether he would consider taking part in Strictly Come Dancing, to which he responded with a most-definite ‘no’.
You may also want to watch:
The event was held to mark the departure of the WI centenary baton, which was handed on to the Cambridge branch of the WI during the meeting.
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 3 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 4 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 5 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 6 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 7 Contractors 'did not follow the brief' when it came to drain maintenance
- 8 Cineworld Ely expected to reopen in May
- 9 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 10 Lunging challenge in boyfriend's memory raises thousands for charity