GALLERY: Michael Portillo the special guest as WI celebrate centenary event
- Credit: Archant
Former MP Michael Portillo was the special guest at the Isle of Ely WI’s annual meeting, held in Witchford.
The former Conservative cabinet minister entertained almost 300 guests from across the Isle of Ely area – speaking about his life in politics and subsequent career as a broadcaster.
Val West, chairman of the Isle of Ely WI, said: “Mr Portillo was an excellent speaker and had everybody amused and interested in his life story. He went on to talk about his career away from politics – including his popular train journeys.
“He spoke for about an hour-and-a-half, answered questions from the audience and then stayed behind to sign autographs and speak to members. It went very well indeed.”
Among a variety of questions put to him, Mr Portillo was even asked by the audience whether he would consider taking part in Strictly Come Dancing, to which he responded with a most-definite ‘no’.
You may also want to watch:
The event was held to mark the departure of the WI centenary baton, which was handed on to the Cambridge branch of the WI during the meeting.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment