Gallery: Little Downham lose out to Needingworth
LITTLE Downham failed to capitalise on an excellent bowling performance at the weekend as they lost out by 41 runs to Needingworth. Downham looked to have their opponents on the rack after a superb innings of accurate and hostile bowling, but they failed
LITTLE Downham failed to capitalise on an excellent bowling performance at the weekend as they lost out by 41 runs to Needingworth.
Downham looked to have their opponents on the rack after a superb innings of accurate and hostile bowling, but they failed to carry their form through with the bat and tumbling wickets ensured they fell some way short of victory.
The loss sees Downham slip to second from bottom of the Cambs and Hunts Junior League 1A, with Needingworth usurping them in eighth place.
Asked to bowl first, Downham took to their task with steely determination as their disciplined bowling attack kept the visitors' scoring pegged at just three runs per over.
You may also want to watch:
As the pressure continued to build, Needingworth's batsmen were forced into rash strokes in a bid to push the flagging score and, before long, wickets began to tumble.
Peter Baker led the way for the home side as he collected 2-31 to cap a solid day's work with the ball. Downham may even have reduced the score to below 150 but for the flashing blades of Needingworth's lower order whose reckless abandon in the latter stages, saw the score creep up to 171.
- 1 Jail for bank card fraudster caught on CCTV
- 2 Prosecution threat against businesses found not to be Covid-19 secure
- 3 'Dedicated' PCSO retires after 12 years amid force funding cuts
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 ‘Beloved’ primary school headteacher leaving after 16 years in Soham
- 6 Woman to travel 100km in her wheelchair to fundraise for autism charity
- 7 You can now watch Ely Cathedral’s rare Peregrine Falcons live 24/7
- 8 Community pharmacy teams to offer free Covid-19 test kits
- 9 Volunteer group's Covid-closure after raising £70,000 in 30 years
- 10 Jail and criminal behaviour order for woman who spat at police officer
Where the home side had been resolute and unremittingly accurate with the ball, they floundered somewhat nervously with willow in hand and failed to build the partnerships necessary for them to reach their target.
Owen Duffield did provide some hope with his knock of 17 but it wasn't to be for the home side as much of the home line-up were unable to turn good starts into big scores with their stay at the crease seldom a prolonged one.
Needingworth wrapped up the win after bowling Downham out for just 130.