GALLERY: Hundreds of pupils enjoy East Cambs Youth Games
EAST Cambridgeshire Youth Games was a celebration of sport as hundreds of children joined together to compete for their adopted nation last week.
Schools arrived at Littleport Leisure Centre representing countries from across the globe to demonstrate the spirit of the Olympics.
They carried specially designed banners and entered in procession dressed in their nation’s colours with flags and t-shirts reflecting their new country.
The competitors, aged from seven to eleven years olds, came from schools from across the district to enter a whole range of activities including athletics, hockey and tennis.
At the end of the day, the overall school champions were Rackham Primary School and Kennett Primary School won the cultural Olympiad award for best representing their adopted country which was Japan.
Cllr Tony Parramint, chairman of East Cambridgeshire District Council, said: “It was great to see so many excited faces giving their best for their school and in the name of their adopted country. They took on a number of sporting activities and it was lovely to see schools mingling together and children making many new friends throughout the day.
The day was organised by East Cambridgeshire District Council and the Witchford School Sports Partnership and supported by Sports Leaders, Young Volunteers and Tesco.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 4 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 5 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 6 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
For more information please visit www.ecsports.co.uk.