GALLERY: Hundreds of pupils enjoy East Cambs Youth Games
EAST Cambridgeshire Youth Games was a celebration of sport as hundreds of children joined together to compete for their adopted nation last week.
Schools arrived at Littleport Leisure Centre representing countries from across the globe to demonstrate the spirit of the Olympics.
They carried specially designed banners and entered in procession dressed in their nation’s colours with flags and t-shirts reflecting their new country.
The competitors, aged from seven to eleven years olds, came from schools from across the district to enter a whole range of activities including athletics, hockey and tennis.
At the end of the day, the overall school champions were Rackham Primary School and Kennett Primary School won the cultural Olympiad award for best representing their adopted country which was Japan.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Tony Parramint, chairman of East Cambridgeshire District Council, said: “It was great to see so many excited faces giving their best for their school and in the name of their adopted country. They took on a number of sporting activities and it was lovely to see schools mingling together and children making many new friends throughout the day.
The day was organised by East Cambridgeshire District Council and the Witchford School Sports Partnership and supported by Sports Leaders, Young Volunteers and Tesco.
- 1 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 2 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 3 Club shuts its doors after illegal encampment spotted
- 4 Former deputy mayor wants to move Newmarket to Cambridgeshire
- 5 East Cambs could be getting five new walking routes
- 6 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 7 Glamping site granted drinks licence despite neighbours' protests
- 8 Round one to High Flyer after highways gives thumbs up to giant mug
- 9 Annual classic car show returns to Ely
- 10 Leader’s reminder of human cost of £100k homes fall-out
For more information please visit www.ecsports.co.uk.