GALLERY: Hundreds discover bell ringing at Ely church’s open day
- Credit: Archant
ABOUT 200 people of all ages attended a Bell Ringing open day at St Mary’s Church, Ely, on Saturday.
Children were shown how to ring on the ‘mini belfry’ and a larger demonstration bell was erected for the occasion outside the church.
Experienced teachers from the Ely District gave ringing demonstrations in St Mary’s tower and helped many visitors take their first steps in learning to ring a bell.
Philip Bailey, education officer of the Ely Diocesan Association of Church Bell Ringers, the event’s organisers, said: “It has been really rewarding to see so many people showing an interest in bell ringing here today.
“As well as the many children wanting to find out about bells we’ve had adults in their twenties, thirties and beyond, plus a lady who hadn’t rung for over forty years but might take it up again.
You may also want to watch:
“We even had a ringer and his young son from Brewster, New York, drop in whilst sight-seeing in Ely.”
Anyone interested in finding out more about bell ringing and where they can ring should go to www.elyda.org.uk or contact Philip Bailey on 07968 788425.
- 1 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 2 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 3 Residents 'horrified' by Swastika graffiti in grounds of Ely Cathedral
- 4 Lockdown easing - 10 pubs and restaurants say welcome back
- 5 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 6 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
- 7 Littleport marks Royal British Legion centenary year with moving ceremony
- 8 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 9 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
- 10 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550