GALLERY: Hundreds discover bell ringing at Ely church’s open day
- Credit: Archant
ABOUT 200 people of all ages attended a Bell Ringing open day at St Mary’s Church, Ely, on Saturday.
Children were shown how to ring on the ‘mini belfry’ and a larger demonstration bell was erected for the occasion outside the church.
Experienced teachers from the Ely District gave ringing demonstrations in St Mary’s tower and helped many visitors take their first steps in learning to ring a bell.
Philip Bailey, education officer of the Ely Diocesan Association of Church Bell Ringers, the event’s organisers, said: “It has been really rewarding to see so many people showing an interest in bell ringing here today.
“As well as the many children wanting to find out about bells we’ve had adults in their twenties, thirties and beyond, plus a lady who hadn’t rung for over forty years but might take it up again.
You may also want to watch:
“We even had a ringer and his young son from Brewster, New York, drop in whilst sight-seeing in Ely.”
Anyone interested in finding out more about bell ringing and where they can ring should go to www.elyda.org.uk or contact Philip Bailey on 07968 788425.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 3 Son's touching tribute: 'My father fought with passion for that in which he believed'
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 6 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 7 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 8 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 9 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland