GALLERY: Ely’s new Mayor makes history by choosing her 14-year-old daughter as consort
- Credit: Archant
THE new Mayor of Ely, Councillor Elaine Griffin-Singh made city history last night, by choosing her schooolgirl daughter to be her consort for the coming year.
Nisha, aged 14, a pupil at Ely College, is the youngest consort ever appointed in the city, and she will accompany the new Mayor on many of her engagements.
Cllr Griffin-Singh said: “It is a great honour to be the new Mayor of Ely, and I am looking forward to the year immensely, especially because Nisha will be able to attend some of the events with me. I also have two nieces who will accompany me to some engagements.
“Nisha is really excited at the prospect of being my consort. Although she is young, she will attend engagements that are appropriate, and she is especially looking forward to some of the music shows.”
The new Deputy Mayor of Ely is Councillor Elisabeth Every, and her consort is her husband Colin.
Cllr Griffin-Singh, who has served on the city council for six years, said: “I am looking forward to supporting the city, its people and its economy. I see my role as supporting the community in any way I can, and representing the views of the public.”
The new Mayor already has a string of events planned for this summer, including the Mayor’s Party in the Park at Cherry Hill on Sunday June 2, with live bands, activities and displays. The event runs from 3pm to 10.45pm, and raises money for the Mayor’s charity fund.
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 4 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 5 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 6 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 7 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 8 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 9 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 10 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021
A new event for the city this summer will be 16 Summer Saturdays, when the Mayor hopes residents will take their chairs along to the Market Place in the evening, to enjoy musical entertainment and supper.
She said: “We hope to create a Covent Garden atmosphere, on Saturdays from May 25 until September 7, with residents and visitors enjoying the community space and spend money at local eateries.
“Six take-aways in the city have agreed to deliver to the Market Place during those evenings, and donate 10 per cent of the bill to the Mayor’s charity.”
The Summer Saturday events will take place from 6pm to 10pm, and the Ely Lighthouse Youth Theatre will be first group to provide entertainment.