GALLERY: Ely’s new Mayor makes history by choosing her 14-year-old daughter as consort
- Credit: Archant
THE new Mayor of Ely, Councillor Elaine Griffin-Singh made city history last night, by choosing her schooolgirl daughter to be her consort for the coming year.
Nisha, aged 14, a pupil at Ely College, is the youngest consort ever appointed in the city, and she will accompany the new Mayor on many of her engagements.
Cllr Griffin-Singh said: “It is a great honour to be the new Mayor of Ely, and I am looking forward to the year immensely, especially because Nisha will be able to attend some of the events with me. I also have two nieces who will accompany me to some engagements.
“Nisha is really excited at the prospect of being my consort. Although she is young, she will attend engagements that are appropriate, and she is especially looking forward to some of the music shows.”
The new Deputy Mayor of Ely is Councillor Elisabeth Every, and her consort is her husband Colin.
Cllr Griffin-Singh, who has served on the city council for six years, said: “I am looking forward to supporting the city, its people and its economy. I see my role as supporting the community in any way I can, and representing the views of the public.”
The new Mayor already has a string of events planned for this summer, including the Mayor’s Party in the Park at Cherry Hill on Sunday June 2, with live bands, activities and displays. The event runs from 3pm to 10.45pm, and raises money for the Mayor’s charity fund.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 8 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
A new event for the city this summer will be 16 Summer Saturdays, when the Mayor hopes residents will take their chairs along to the Market Place in the evening, to enjoy musical entertainment and supper.
She said: “We hope to create a Covent Garden atmosphere, on Saturdays from May 25 until September 7, with residents and visitors enjoying the community space and spend money at local eateries.
“Six take-aways in the city have agreed to deliver to the Market Place during those evenings, and donate 10 per cent of the bill to the Mayor’s charity.”
The Summer Saturday events will take place from 6pm to 10pm, and the Ely Lighthouse Youth Theatre will be first group to provide entertainment.