Gallery: Ely City secure three points
RIDGEONS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION Ely City 2 Woodbridge Town 0 A SOLID performance saw the Robins secure another three points at the expense of Woodbridge Town on Saturday. Martin Westcott out-jumped the visiting defence to nod in the opener after just two
RIDGEONS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION
Ely City 2 Woodbridge Town 0
A SOLID performance saw the Robins secure another three points at the expense of Woodbridge Town on Saturday.
Martin Westcott out-jumped the visiting defence to nod in the opener after just two minutes, but Ely suffered an injury scare when Matt Lilley received a blow to the head and had to have his head bandaged. Luckily he was able to continue, and had a fine match.
Westcott failed to convert other chances that came his way in the opening half, and Lilley scuffed a shot narrowly wide of the goal too.
Ely were not so impressive after the break, although Westcott had a shot cleared off the line on 53 minutes.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 5 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 6 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 7 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 10 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
Woodbridge went close to equalising with 20 minutes remaining, but goalkeeper Pacey saved well at the feet of an opponent.
Then with time running out, Lilley grabbed the second goal of the game with a fine run and a calm finish.
Manager Dennis Lightning was pleased with the result, but his joy was tempered by the action of the referee when the visiting manager ran on the pitch to confront both him and a couple of the Ely players.
Skipper Simon Warren and Rob Mason both became involved in the incident, but according to Lightning his captain was acting as a peacekeeper and Mason simply pushed the Woodbridge boss away after being grabbed by him.
"I can assure you," said Lightning afterwards, "that if 'Wazza' or Rob are charged and found guilty of any offence, I will question if this is not yet another FA directive that works only one way."
Ely's Tuesday night clash with Wisbech Town was postponed last week, but there is a Tuesday night fixture at Dereham Town this week.
On Saturday they entertain unbeaten league leaders Wivenhoe Town at the Unwin Ground.