Gallery: Ely City secure three points
RIDGEONS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION Ely City 2 Woodbridge Town 0 A SOLID performance saw the Robins secure another three points at the expense of Woodbridge Town on Saturday. Martin Westcott out-jumped the visiting defence to nod in the opener after just two
RIDGEONS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION
Ely City 2 Woodbridge Town 0
A SOLID performance saw the Robins secure another three points at the expense of Woodbridge Town on Saturday.
Martin Westcott out-jumped the visiting defence to nod in the opener after just two minutes, but Ely suffered an injury scare when Matt Lilley received a blow to the head and had to have his head bandaged. Luckily he was able to continue, and had a fine match.
You may also want to watch:
Westcott failed to convert other chances that came his way in the opening half, and Lilley scuffed a shot narrowly wide of the goal too.
Ely were not so impressive after the break, although Westcott had a shot cleared off the line on 53 minutes.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
Woodbridge went close to equalising with 20 minutes remaining, but goalkeeper Pacey saved well at the feet of an opponent.
Then with time running out, Lilley grabbed the second goal of the game with a fine run and a calm finish.
Manager Dennis Lightning was pleased with the result, but his joy was tempered by the action of the referee when the visiting manager ran on the pitch to confront both him and a couple of the Ely players.
Skipper Simon Warren and Rob Mason both became involved in the incident, but according to Lightning his captain was acting as a peacekeeper and Mason simply pushed the Woodbridge boss away after being grabbed by him.
"I can assure you," said Lightning afterwards, "that if 'Wazza' or Rob are charged and found guilty of any offence, I will question if this is not yet another FA directive that works only one way."
Ely's Tuesday night clash with Wisbech Town was postponed last week, but there is a Tuesday night fixture at Dereham Town this week.
On Saturday they entertain unbeaten league leaders Wivenhoe Town at the Unwin Ground.