Gallery: Ely City lose out to Wisbech Town
ELY City s mounting injury list finally took its toll on Saturday as they lost 1-0 to Wisbech Town in the preliminary round of the FA Cup. Coming into the game, Trevor Munn s side were missing at least eight first team players and, despite their good form
ELY City's mounting injury list finally took its toll on Saturday as they lost 1-0 to Wisbech Town in the preliminary round of the FA Cup.
Coming into the game, Trevor Munn's side were missing at least eight first team players and, despite their good form in the midweek clash with Dereham, they were unable to overcome an impressive Wisbech side.
The game itself started evenly as both sides looked to wrestle control of the possession but it was the visitors who eventually managed to seize the upper hand as they forged some decent early openings.
The Robins responded admirably to the early pressure though, and managed to catch Wisbech's back line flat-footed on a couple of occasions only for the decisive final ball to go astray.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors eventually broke the deadlock after 28 minutes through Scott Cubberley, who managed to fire home on the angle after the Fenman broke quickly from an Ely attack.
To their credit, Ely rallied after half-time and came out in search of an equaliser with renewed vigour. Led by Wayne Goddard in the centre of midfield, the Robins looked an altogether more threatening proposition but were foiled on a number of occasions by a determined visiting defence.
- 1 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 2 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 3 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
- 4 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 8 More GP surgeries prepare to give Covid-19 vaccinations
- 9 Vaccinated nurse tells of 'incredibly stressful' situation
- 10 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
In the dying minutes Ely threw numbers forward in search of a way back into the match but despite a decent late effort from Richard Chadwick that slipped wide they were unable to restore parity.