Gallery: Ely City lose out to Wisbech Town
ELY City s mounting injury list finally took its toll on Saturday as they lost 1-0 to Wisbech Town in the preliminary round of the FA Cup. Coming into the game, Trevor Munn s side were missing at least eight first team players and, despite their good form
ELY City's mounting injury list finally took its toll on Saturday as they lost 1-0 to Wisbech Town in the preliminary round of the FA Cup.
Coming into the game, Trevor Munn's side were missing at least eight first team players and, despite their good form in the midweek clash with Dereham, they were unable to overcome an impressive Wisbech side.
The game itself started evenly as both sides looked to wrestle control of the possession but it was the visitors who eventually managed to seize the upper hand as they forged some decent early openings.
The Robins responded admirably to the early pressure though, and managed to catch Wisbech's back line flat-footed on a couple of occasions only for the decisive final ball to go astray.
The visitors eventually broke the deadlock after 28 minutes through Scott Cubberley, who managed to fire home on the angle after the Fenman broke quickly from an Ely attack.
To their credit, Ely rallied after half-time and came out in search of an equaliser with renewed vigour. Led by Wayne Goddard in the centre of midfield, the Robins looked an altogether more threatening proposition but were foiled on a number of occasions by a determined visiting defence.
- 1 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 2 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 3 Firm announces acquisition of independent planning firm
- 4 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 5 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 6 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 7 Dental practice plan move to industrial park
- 8 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 9 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 10 Rudolph the red phone box reindeer arrives in village
In the dying minutes Ely threw numbers forward in search of a way back into the match but despite a decent late effort from Richard Chadwick that slipped wide they were unable to restore parity.