GALLERY: East Cambs schools suffer in wake of snow
SCHOOLS in East Cambridgeshire have been worst hit by the weekend’s snow flurry, with many forced to close their doors to students on Monday.
Ely College, Witchford Village College, Ely St Mary’s, Spring Meadow, Highfields, and Lantern Primary were all closed after 15cm of snow fell across the district on Saturday night.
Temperatures plummeted to as low as -4 degrees and the county’s emergency services were kept busy, the East of England Ambulance Service responding to 1,229 calls across the region between 11pm-9am overnight from Saturday.
Gritters running from Cambridgeshire County Council’s depot in Witchford have been out in force and the district’s roads have remained open, though the conditions have remained treacherous.
Cambridgeshire police said there has been 51 collisions reported on the county’s roads between 9pm on Saturday and 4pm on Sunday, a number “significantly higher” than they would normally receive a spokesman said.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, East Cambridgeshire District Council announced that its waste and recycling service had been suspended on Monday because of the bad weather.
The suspension mostly affected residents in Aldreth, Eairth Bridge, Haddenham, Streatham, Sutton, Wilburton, Chittering, Grunty Fen, Isleham, Wentworth and Witchford.
- 1 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 2 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 3 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 4 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 5 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 8 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 9 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history
- 10 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
Elsewhere, all other council services remained open and members of the parks and open spaces team were out currently clearing and gritting main paths in Ely from first light.
Got a picture of the snow? Got a snow story? Let us know on 01353 645693 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.