GALLERY: East Cambridgeshire enjoying tourism boom which has seen visitor numbers surge
- Credit: Archant
East Cambridgeshire is experiencing a tourism boom and the local economy’s reaping the benefits, a report says.
In 2013, there were 3.4 million trips to the district worth £182 million to the local economy, with the tourism industry directly employing 3,335 people.
The Economic Impact of Tourism report from TSE Research highlights how the total number of trips, day visitors, day visitor spend and total tourism value have increased dramatically since the last report in 2010.
There were 2.6 million trips worth £164 million to the local economy in 2010. Day visitor spend shot up from £92 million in 2010 to £120 million in 2013.
Councillor Hamish Ross, service delivery champion: markets and town centres at East Cambridgeshire District Council, said: “The numbers are very impressive – the industry is worth £182 million to our economy, it employs thousands of people and there were 3.4 million trips to the district in 2013. It shows how vital tourism is for East Cambridgeshire.
You may also want to watch:
“The district council has worked very hard to promote East Cambridgeshire as a place to visit through the outstanding team at the Tourist Information Centre in Oliver Cromwell House to the partnership work with venues across the area.
“We are lucky to have so many outstanding places to visit from Ely Cathedral to Wicken Fen and Anglesey Abbey but we have many others which have charmed and entranced many people.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
“The challenge is for us to build on this success to ensure the tourism industry continues to bring huge benefits to us all.”
10 REASONS TOURISTS ARE FLOCKING TO EAST CAMBS
1. Free car parking
2. The Ely Markets
3. The bigger and better Eel Festival
4. The Country Park
5. The Oliver Cromwell House
6. Improved Ely riverside
7. The award winning Tourist Information Centre
8. Visitor guide
9. Part of the Ely City Centre Forum
10. Apple Day