GALLERY: East Cambridgeshire enjoying tourism boom which has seen visitor numbers surge
- Credit: Archant
East Cambridgeshire is experiencing a tourism boom and the local economy’s reaping the benefits, a report says.
In 2013, there were 3.4 million trips to the district worth £182 million to the local economy, with the tourism industry directly employing 3,335 people.
The Economic Impact of Tourism report from TSE Research highlights how the total number of trips, day visitors, day visitor spend and total tourism value have increased dramatically since the last report in 2010.
There were 2.6 million trips worth £164 million to the local economy in 2010. Day visitor spend shot up from £92 million in 2010 to £120 million in 2013.
Councillor Hamish Ross, service delivery champion: markets and town centres at East Cambridgeshire District Council, said: “The numbers are very impressive – the industry is worth £182 million to our economy, it employs thousands of people and there were 3.4 million trips to the district in 2013. It shows how vital tourism is for East Cambridgeshire.
“The district council has worked very hard to promote East Cambridgeshire as a place to visit through the outstanding team at the Tourist Information Centre in Oliver Cromwell House to the partnership work with venues across the area.
“We are lucky to have so many outstanding places to visit from Ely Cathedral to Wicken Fen and Anglesey Abbey but we have many others which have charmed and entranced many people.
- 1 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 2 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 3 Family banned from turning garage into dining room
- 4 Surgery’s renovation project takes next step forward
- 5 Cricket club's bid to be 'loud and proud' thanks to new ground
- 6 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 7 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Alisa, 17, on how refillable candle business went viral in just five months
- 10 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
“The challenge is for us to build on this success to ensure the tourism industry continues to bring huge benefits to us all.”
10 REASONS TOURISTS ARE FLOCKING TO EAST CAMBS
1. Free car parking
2. The Ely Markets
3. The bigger and better Eel Festival
4. The Country Park
5. The Oliver Cromwell House
6. Improved Ely riverside
7. The award winning Tourist Information Centre
8. Visitor guide
9. Part of the Ely City Centre Forum
10. Apple Day