GALLERY: Display of Volkswagen Karmann Ghia causes a stir outside Ely Cathedral
PALACE Green in Ely played host to more than 50 vintage vehicles over the weekend as part of an international rally.
Volkswagen Karmann Ghia from all over the Europe were in Cambridgeshire for three days for an annual gathering and showcase event.
The cars, some of which had come from as far away as the Netherlands and Germany, caused quite a stir in front of Ely Cathedral, with dozens of residents and visitors turning out to admire the collection.
Co-organiser Veronique Baker-Malone, of Haddenham, said: “The event went extremely well, it was a far bigger turnout than we have ever had before and one of the biggest gathering of Karmanns we have had in this country.
“There was a good turnout in Ely in particular and lots of interest from people. People were coming out of work to have a look.”
You may also want to watch:
After taking in Ely, the vehicles travelled to Histon, Impington, Cambridge and over to Bedford as part of a three-day tour.
The Karmann Ghia was in production from 1955-1974 and combined the mechanics of the Beetle and the styling of the Italian-made Ghia.
- 1 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 2 County council orders review into £120m lending to This Land
- 3 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 4 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 5 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 6 ‘Fantastic’ week at musical theatre workshop
- 7 Police finally pull car from Fens river
- 8 446 catalytic converter thefts in just 8 months reported in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Camp Beagle protest arrest on suspicion of ‘intimidation’
- 10 Six-year-old fundraising for air ambulance charity that helped sister during seizure