GALLERY: Cyclists get a taste of Le Tour at Ely festival
- Credit: Archant
Tour de France fever swept through Ely on Sunday as hundreds of people turned out to enjoy the Velo Festival.
Organised by Cambridgeshire County Council to celebrate a stage of Le Tour passing through the county on July 7, the Velo Festival saw a mini velodrome erected in Ely’s Market Place.
Visitors were able to take up the challenge of speeding around the specially built cycle track.
And the fun didn’t stop there as the Brompton challenge tasked cyclists with assembling, racing a lap and collapsing down a Brompton bike in as quick a time as possible.
There was also be a display by the March Vintage and Veteran Cycle Club which saw many people try their hand at riding at penny farthing.
You may also want to watch:
Repair specialist Dr Bike was also on hand to provide tips and advice on bike maintenance.
A council spokesman said: “It is a great privilege to be hosting the start of Stage 3 of the biggest annual sporting event in the world and it is inspiring to see how many people are getting involved in the run up to the race coming to Cambridgeshire.”
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Dr Nik in Ely for his first day as Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Mayor
- 3 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 4 Have your say on Network Rail increasing rail capacity through Ely
- 5 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 6 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 7 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 8 Eggs from Peregrine Falcons nesting on Ely Cathedral rooftop hatch
- 9 Railways to royalty - a nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- 10 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose
For full details about the Tour de France route in Cambridgeshire, go to www.letourcambridge.com.