GALLERY: 1,000 pupils come together to create human poppy
- Credit: Archant
More than 1,000 primary school pupils joined forces on Thursday to create a giant human poppy in Soham.
The carefully co-ordinated event took place at the village college with pupils from
The Weatheralls, St Andrew’s and the newly opened Shade Primary School taking part,
The Weatheralls children wore red T-shirts to represent the petals, St Andrew’s, black to represent the centre, and The Shade green to represent the stalk and the leaves of the poppy.
The idea for the poppy came out of meetings between Soham Museum and Laura Beasley, history teacher at The Weatheralls, and Sue Howe, history teacher at St Andrew’s School, and is amongst a number of activities the schools have taken part in to mark the centenary of the start of World War I.
You may also want to watch:
Donna Martin, chairman of Soham Museum, said: “I wanted to praise all the children, who were impeccably behaved throughout, as well as the staff who took the time and trouble to participate.
“It was a really moving event with some of the staff almost in tears and bursting with pride at the thought their classes had taken part in something so special.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 10 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
The poppy was photographed from the air by a specialist aerial photographer from a drone. Andy Crowhurst, an experienced photographer from Berkshire drove all the way to Soham to provide photographs of the event.
There will be a special display of the Soham Remembrance poppy and the children’s work as part of Soham Museum’s World War I exhibition at Soham Pumpkin Fair on September 27.