Funding fears for Ely Christmas lights switch on – as still £6,000 in sponsorship needed
- Credit: Archant
Organisers of Ely’s Christmas lights switch-on say that they are “very concerned” about funding for this year’s event.
Around £6,000 is still needed in sponsorship to make sure that everything can go ahead as planned.
Since making an appeal in the Ely Standard last month, event manager Ian Newstead said they still only had three sponsors.
This year will mark the 15th anniversary of the switch on, with thousands set to desend on the city from 4pm on Friday November 29.
"The planning is well underway and we have some very special acts pencilled in to perform on stage," Mr Newstead said.
You may also want to watch:
"Our last request for sponsors actually achieved nothing and that no sponsors have come forward.
"We are very concerned about funding for the event as still have the original three sponsors so far and still need to generate £6,000.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 8 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 9 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
"We have some great packages for any businesses that would be willing to help us so please do get in touch."
For more information of how you can help this year then call Ian on 07902015598 or email firstname.lastname@example.org