Fund-raising rubber duck race set to cause a splash
- Credit: Archant
An army of rubber ducks will be released onto the New Bedford River on Saturday as part of a fund-raising duck race.
Organisers of the race are expecting up to 300 ducks to take to the start line at the Three Pickerels pub, with the £50 top prize going to the owner of the duck which travels between two bridges the quickest.
The event has been organised by Mepal and Witcham Pre-school together with the Three Pickerels pub, with all funds raised being donated to the pre-school and the Mepal and Witcham School Friends Committee.
Chairman of the pre-school, Joanne Rose, said: “We have an afternoon of family activities at the pub, with bouncy castle, raffle, games, barbecue, face painting, starting from 12pm, with the main Duck Race at 1.30pm.
“We’re currently selling numbered ducks at £1 each, and all proceeds made from the day will be split between Mepal & Witcham Pre-School and Mepal & Witcham School Friends Committee, both of which work really hard to fundraise for the children in both settings.
You may also want to watch:
“We hope that the event will not only reach out to the families of those children in either setting, but to the wider community as well, and with potentially 300 ducks on the river, it should be a great family afternoon out.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines